Saturday, April 27, 2024

surface pattern design

 

little fish, little pools
Cotton fabric, felt, earthenware, wire, watercolor
32" x 21"
detail
Porcelain fish plate
Sixteen Whitebait, Diana Tonison
Stitching a sail
sketch # 1
sketch # 2
mold of the original fish




The textile wall hanging entitled little fish, little pools was inspired by fish. I was also inspired by natural, neutral colors interacting with the color blue. My intent was to visually communicate a pattern with mixed media components and an interaction between 2d and 3d elements. I wanted to focus on the glaze work of the fish because I love the illusion it creates of scales. I decided to include watercolor detail because I felt the work was lacking contrast with only the fish on the surface of the material. Adding the watercolor was daunting because my original plan didn't look how I wanted, but the bleeding effect of the final design brought it all together. I want to continue exploring mixed media work, especially with textiles and ceramics. The making of this work exposed me to new ideas such as watercolor on fabric, which is something I hadn't experimented with very much before.  



























No comments:

Post a Comment

dye experiments

indigo indigo  rich purple logwood and rust in-process in-process in-process